Medical Research Unit (MRU)
MEDICAL RESEARCH UNIT (MRU)
UTTARA MODEL TOWN, DHAKA-1230, BANGLADESH
(A project of The Medical & Health Welfare Trust, Uttara, Dhaka)
Historically, it is important to state that the Medical Research Unit (MRU) at Medical College for Women & Hospital (MCW&H), Plot-4 Road-9 Sector-1, Uttara Model Town, Dhaka-1230, Bangladesh, started its journey in 2002. The image of a medical college depends on its university examination results and its scientific publications in journals. Accordingly, MRU was formally established by The Medical & Health Welfare Trust (MHWT) on 24.10.2005 with the recommendation of the Board of Trustee (BOT), MHWT. This MRU, first of its kind in a Medical College in Bangladesh, has been mostly financed by the MHWT and is being represented by the honorable members of the BOT, MHWT:
Prof. Dr. AQMB Choudhury,
MBBS TDD(Wales) FRCP(Edin) FRCP(Glasgow) FRCP(London) FCPS(BD)
Honorary Professor of Medicine, Chairman of MHWT, Uttara, Dhaka-1230
Honorable Former President of the Peoples Republic of Bangladesh
Prof. Dr. MR Khan,
MBBS(Cal) DTM&H(Edin) DCH(London) FCPS(BD) FRCP(Edin)
Honorary Professor of Paediatrics, Executive Chairman of MHWT, Uttara, Dhaka-1230
Honorable National Professor
Prof. Dr. AM Mujibul Haq
MBBS DTM&H(Edin) MPhil(Leeds) MRCP FRCP(London) FCPS(BD)
Honorary Professor of Medicine, Chairman-Projects & Member-BOT, MHWT
Honorable Chairman of MRU, MHWT, Uttara, Dhaka-1230
The objectives of setting up the MRU at MCW&H are to carry out:
- Fundamental biomedical research relevant to human life, human health and diseases.
- Uncover fundamental biochemical mechanisms of human disease processes relevant to Bangladesh particularly.
- Develop and apply new diagnostic laboratory methods for better understanding, pin point diagnosis leading to appropriate treatment and follow-up for patients with specific diseases.
- Adopt new discoveries and developments that occur internationally in biomedical field for patients in Bangladesh.
- Conduct research on herbal medicine which has a great scope in Bangladesh.